The Billings Ovulation Method is one of the most modern, simple, and effective methods of natural family planning. By learning to identify natural signs of fertility and infertility millions around the world have used the method to achieve, or avoid pregnancy, as well as to monitor their reproductive health. It is the most scientifically researched method of natural family planning available today.
“We have been successfully using the method for many years and have been blessed with three children. For us, it’s a way of life.”
Margie and Paul Luberda
You might have heard of the Rhythm method, which is an NFP method that was promoted in the past and was based on numerical calculations, assuming all women’s cycles were the same length. It did not work very well since it only worked if the woman had normal length cycles. Modern NFP methods are not based on numerical calculations; they are based on your own personal natural signs of fertility and infertility.
Since we know that each woman is unique with menstrual cycles as individual as she is, the Billings Ovulation Method acknowledges this individuality and teaches you to identity your own unique patterns of infertility and fertility regardless of the length of your cycle. It can be used to postpone, avoid or achieve a pregnancy.
Why We Recommend the Billings Ovulation Method
- It’s morally acceptable to the Catholic Church. The Church believes that the marital act was intended to bind together husband and wife, and to procreate children. The Church also says that any action that negates or destroys one or both of those two purposes is a sinful act. Contraception not only blocks conception, it also blocks husband and wife from completely bonding. The Church teaches that the unitive and procreative elements of marriage can’t be separated.
- It’s healthy. Think of it as “green” fertility awareness. You don’t put chemicals or drugs into your body and there are no harmful side effects.
- It can improve your marital relationship. The same qualities that help you learn to cooperate in the joint responsibility of deciding how to space your family can extend to improved communication in your own relationship. The discipline of waiting helps you to not take each other for granted. Studies have shown that couples using NFP have a significantly lower divorce rate.
- It’s a very reliable method. When applied correctly, there is a more than 99% chance of avoiding pregnancy.
- It can help you succeed in getting pregnant. The Billings Ovulation Method allows you to pinpoint the most fertile time of your cycle so you can time intercourse with ovulation for the best chance of getting pregnant.
- It’s easy to use. There are four simple rules. Once you learn the method, you can use it throughout your entire reproductive life. You can monitor your own reproductive health by studying your chart for anything unusual.
The Billings Ovulation Method was named after the two doctors that developed the method, Doctors John and Evelyn Billings, a husband and wife team from Australia. Other scientists and over 850,000 hormonal studies have validated the methodology and the rules of the method, and it has also been researched and studied by the World Health Organization.
“What we are teaching is normal physiology. It is a gift of knowledge that all women are entitled to have.”
Dr. Evelyn Billings
The Billings Ovulation Method can be used throughout all stages of reproductive life, whether a woman has:
- Regular cycles
- Irregular cycles
- Cycles affected by stress
- Irregularity due to breastfeeding or the approach of menopause
- Following chemical contraception
The Billings Ovulation Method enables you to understand, appreciate, and protect your reproductive health.
It takes into consideration the uniqueness of a woman’s cycle on a day-to-day basis. By keeping a chart and applying the Rules of the Billings Ovulation Method, the woman will learn day-by-day whether she is infertile, or potentially fertile and the timing of ovulation. She will learn what is happening in her body, based on what she has charted, and will gain confidence to successfully use the Method to manage her fertility naturally.
For your health, for your faith, for your upcoming marriage, and for a green planet, we hope you consider the Billings Ovulation Method for you and your family.
“Over 90% of women with irregular cycles have a problem, which can and should be treated without having to use artificial contraception.”
Dr. Pilar Vigil